Thetford

Thetford

Friday 7 December 2018



Okay

Here we go again, what is he on about this time.  I'm writing this blog in response to a question from the last one, so bear with me.

I was posed the question about being a vegetarian rather than vegan because that limits my diet.  These are fair enough questions and once again in the staff room my life choice was brought up (so it wasn't the vegan) as to whether my chips were vegan.  Well I said as far as I am aware the chips are done in separate fryer in vegetable oil, but it is fair enough to assume that they might fry other things in there.  The point I made was that I have took reasonable steps to make sure I am not contributing to animal suffering and if someone else wants to chuck other things in the fryer with my chips then that is their problem not mine.

So back to the original question, I don't think my diet is limited for starters, it is different and takes thought, but not limited.  I responded to the question at the time with a short narrative about as humans we learn and don't just accept things as they are.  In short, we shouldn't just artificially breed, keep in less than desirable conditions, take their young and bodily fluids meant for a different species, then slaughter them because we can.  I know this is blunt and has probably got some people angry.  Remember, I know have the belief that these animals should be cared for and loved like any other creature on this planet, they want to live, not die. Therefore I cannot knowingly contribute to that system.

This has nothing to do with farmers though,  we need farmers and they are brilliant people who keep us all going.  As I go along on this journey I think about stuff and listen to others about the various questions that have come out of being vegan or plant based diet.  I am convinced farmers would be better off and put back at the top of most valuable people in society if we learn and change what we do.  It is basic supply and demand, they only supply what the consumer wants.  So think of it this way.

I was sat in bed this morning and thought of this, so sorry if someone has already published this, or thought of it.  I was looking at the news the other day and there was a piece about another probe we have landed on mars.  We are incredible, we are intelligent and have the power to do that!  So what if they wanted to land one of us there?  I am sure NASA are thinking about it, so it came to me that they would need to feed that person?  It is very unlikely therefore that they are designing a space craft that would carry cows, pigs, sheep and chickens  (I know I am being silly).  However it is true, the amount of food, oxygen and waste produced would not make it viable for the return.  So think of it this way, imagine then that our planet is the space craft, we are all hurtling through space on this thing.  We are not managing the system properly though and are damaging ourselves because we like bacon?  It just doesn't make sense to me anymore.

If we changed how we do things, the amount of food produced needed to sustain the current system would end world hunger (it is a genuine belief by some). Farmers would make more money and put back to the top of society.  This is why I am vegan.

Please know that I have just got older and more silly, and just love, so try not to have to many negative comments lol x




No comments:

Post a Comment