Thetford

Thetford

Monday 9 April 2012

Great Weekend

Friday morning came round and Mick turned up nice early with Russ (our pit crew), and off we set to Newcastleton for the 12hrs of exposure championships. I like the endurance scene and I put myself down as a bit of an endurance rider so I had loads of butterflies because this was my race.

Anyway, skip forwards to today and everything I had set out to do I achieved. I came 10Th in the end which is what I had said I wanted in previous blogs, but the whole experience delivered much more. Honestly I love racing, but the mountain bike experience is much more than that, I have not laughed so much in ages. From the word go it was just daft humour. Russ used to mountain bike but now days he is a time trial and road rider, so it was inevitable he got the first lot of abuse, from then everyone was fair game.

Got settled in the digs and unpacked the 2 tonne of kit you take to these races, which we all agreed you will probably never need. Then around tea time we set off for a sighting lap. There was a slight bit of drizzle but it did not matter too much because the guys at Rock UK had worked hard on the course which stood up well to the damp conditions. The course pretty much followed last years with a few minor changes so all was good. Then after a trip to the village for some food everything was ready for the next days racing.



The start in Newcastleton is a great affair, you have to sign the entry board which gives it a tour De France type feel and is the closest you would ever get to feeling like a professional rider. Then it is a steady procession out of the village back up to the course and once the pace car leaves it is gloves off boys and girls.

For once in my life I listened to advice and did as I was told. Last year I blasted away at the start which cost me; this year I took it steady and warmed up into the race which paid off and got me my top ten finish. This looked unlikely when I looked at the line up which included Matt Page who won last years 24hr champs. This resigned me to a top twenty finish being good, that weirdly, might have helped because I was more relaxed.



Apart from the usual wobble 4 laps in when you question your sanity; the race went pretty much to plan. I came in for my last lap which only left me a small margin as to whether I would make the cut off. I was never not going to ride my last lap but words of encouragement from Russ to the effect of "get your finger out" saw me set off. This why I know my training is starting to pay off because I really could push on the last lap and was one of my quickest. This is a new experience as because normally my head wants to push but my body will not in previous endeavours, usually it is sheer will power that gets me round.

So in the short time I have been coached I have jumped 12 places from last years result, more miles completed and a feeling that there is genuinely more to come. I got home to my lovely wife and kids and a giant Sunday dinner and was thinking that life does not get better than this.

No comments:

Post a Comment